We’re seeking stories from the continent of Africa, by African writers. We’re looking for stories in the form of creative non-fiction, including memoir, life-writing, literary reportage and essays. Specific, rigorous and reflective, these stories will introduce new perspectives to readers in the region and the world. We’re particularly interested in less-told stories from less-read writers.
The anthology will be edited by Ellah Wakatama Allfrey.
Please send your proposals to email@example.com by 12noon on Monday 20 April with the subject heading: ‘NON FICTION ANTHOLOGY’.
· Please include the following:
– Author CV (including nationality and gender, postal address, email address and contact telephone number)
– An outline of what you want to write and why (not more than 750 words)
– A copy of your creative non-fiction piece (3,000-6,000 words) if already written or a sample of your non-fiction writing (not more than 2000 words)
– Tell us about your writing history (one A4 page MAX)
· If we offer you a commission, there may be also be a small expenses fund available to help you to research your piece eg. local travel. Please state in your submission if you would need us to help with research expenses and what these would be.
· There are no subject restrictions.
· All completed stories should be between 3,000 and 6,000 words.
· No previously published work will be considered, including work published in anthologies, chapbooks or online.
· Please only submit a proposal/work written in English.
We will let you know the results of your submission by 8 May 2015. If we offer you a commission, you will be expected to complete your story by 30 July 2015. You will need to be available to work with the editor, as and when necessary, from August to November 2015. The anthology will be published in the summer of 2016.